My claim to fame in the professional world is that one time I actually said that my biggest weakness was being completely unorganized in an interview.
I mean, I still got the internship (ha, I'm not quite on the "full time job" level yet)... but, really? Who says stuff like this?
Well. I do. Because I'm horrible about being completely honest in situations where you proooobaabbbllly should stretch the truth or tell a tiny white lie. I'm also horrible about NOT saying the most odd and random facts about my life to anyone that will listen. Especially if I'm nervous.
But, that's another story... today is still about the state of unorganization and/or chaos going on constantly in my tiny little world.
Bakecetera's birthday (1 year!) was August 14th... WHOOP!
But, me being, well, me, totalllly forgot about this little detail.
And well, it actually is a pretty small detail. But, considering Bakecetera has grown to be my biggest hobby, I think a small celebration is in order!
So, instead of one year, we're going to celebrate 13 months! A baker's dozen of months filled with my babbling and presentation of random desserts! This post is all about my favourite Bakecetera creations.
Let's get a countdown going!!!
13. Chaos Cookies: These cookies are incredible! They were a huge hit with all my friends. They're easy to make and pretty healthy, too. Also, almost everything in the cookie is pretty standard in the kitchen pantry!
12. Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes: People actually hid these cupcakes for later when I brought them to a party because they're so freaking good. The pumpkin makes them super moist, and the chocolate is... well... chocolate? Hi five.
11. Champagne Cake: This was the only thing actually "requested" when I asked people if they had any favourites! So, I'm assuming that someone, somewhere (Mags :D), loves this cake. It's DELIGHTFUL, and so much fun for any special occasion... and there is leftover champagne from the baking process. Need I say more?
10. The Old Fashion Macaron: Yoooo. One of my favourite cocktails compressed into one of my favourite desserts. Yeah. It's good. If you're ever in Paris, go to Dirty Dick by Pigalle for a FANTASTIC old fashion. Ask for extra cherries.
9. White Bean Bars: My friend tells me these were a hit when she made them (multiple times), and I absolutely adore these bars. They're easy, fun, and good for parties!
8. Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies: My new go-to cookie recipe. These were probably the best cookies that I've ever made. Again: simple, healthy(ish), and delicious. Plus, they're vegan without being difficult (read: weird ingredients).
7. Cardamom Pistachio Strawberry Cake: This was the cake that I made for my birthday. I love it. I ate a good quarter of it for breakfast the day following my party. I didn't share. Oopsie.
6. Matcha Green Tea "Cheese"cake: This cake gets the most hits on Bakecetera. The people of the internet are big fans, and I am too! It is an entire cake of lemony-matchy-goodness. And it's vegan and raw! Mmmhummm.
5. Chocolate Mint Rum Cake: AKA: the best cake that I've ever made (in my opinion). It was so good. The recipe is my new go-to chocolate cake recipe... you can replace the rum with vanilla extract and dress up with different frostings if you're not a mint fan.
4. Knock-off Pierre Hermé Métissé Macarons: I never got to taste the original (by Mr. Hermé himself), but these macarons were incredible. The flavour combo was interesting without being too "out there". Also, it's fun to add crazy things into macarons... the carrot macaron would be a perfect base for a carrot cake macaron!
3. Vegan Cornbread: This cornbread is made with cashew milk. The nutty flavour paired with the taste and texture of cornmeal is actually mind blowing. I'm totally obsessed with cornbread, and since it's the beginning of autumn, I know that I'm going to be using this recipe over and over again!!!
2. Nanaimo Bars: These are the definition of my childhood. My mom is (actually, I kid you not) the best nanaimo bar maker in the world, but paired with this recipe and some patience, I hope to get to her level one day. This is Canada's gift to the world. You should get involved, they're incredible.
1. Vegan Carrot Cupcakes: To date my favourite thing that has ever come out of my kitchen. Carrot (cup)cake(s) = heaven. If you ever want something from me, present a slice of carrot cake to me and it's done. Also, this recipe includes a vegan version for cream cheese frosting.
A year (or 13 months) has flown by! It was a tough one, but having Bakecetera really helped me stay active, positive, and busy. Things are really looking up in my life... PhD is happening, my friends (and family) are awesome, I traveled the world and back and only foresee more adventures in my future, and I'm just feeling fine! I'm so stoked for another baker's dozen of desserts, weird stories, and crumb evidence in my bed (whhhhat?).
And on a final note: a huge shout out to all of my friends and family that actually read this blog. I started this for myself - as a way to document my life and baking stories - but it means so much to me to actually have some positive feedback. You guys rock :D!
Baking soundtrack - Tunes to inspire your inner baker:
Okay, make fun of me if you must... but Pitch Perfect is probably the best thing that's happened to my life lately. It is just awesome.
Even more awesome: this song! I mean, I don't know if it's official, or if it's just a crazed fan that created a mash up... but Anna Kendrick, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, and Florence + the Machine... I said whhhhhhhat??
Peace and love, mes amis!